Thursday 24 April 2014

My Obsession With Bandcamp.

Hello everyone! It's Zoe.

I was in the mood to write a post today and so I'm making a post! I thought today I would talk about my obsession with Bandcamp. If you don't know what Bandcamp it is a website where any type of musicians can upload music and people can buy it or listen to it for free. Basically, like itunes but without the mainstream artists. Don't get me wrong I love listening to all the mainstream music like Fall Out Boy, Panic!At The Disco, Muse, Bastille - the list goes on. But as of late I've realised that I've been downloading A LOT of bandcamp music. More specifically folk music. That sounds quite odd but bare with me! This has become more of a obsession because if I go onto bandcamp, I tend to get at least 3 different albums from 3 different artists EVERY SINGLE TIME. So I thought I would tell you out of all those albums i've been getting what I've been listening to the most! 


The Oh Hello's - 'Oh Hello' (Free) and 'Through The Deep, Dark Valley' (Free) Albums:
This band are AMAZING. They are really upbeat and happy which I always love about a band! When you listen to them, you might hear a similarity to 'Of Monsters and Men' which are also an incredible band. Some of there songs are a bit more chilled out than others I must admit. The artwork for 'Oh Hello' kinda remind me of KickThePJ's creatures from his short film 'Smokey Saloon'! I really urge you to go listen to this because at this moment in time, it's one of my most listened to artists from Bandcamp!

The Winter Suns - 'Fires of The North' Album (Free):
My favourite song out of this album would be the song 'Familiar'. It kind of sounds a bit like 'Dog Days Are Over' by Florence and the Machine but also has the vibe of 'Of Monsters and Men'. This is only a small album as there's only 5 songs to it but it's fab music! 


OH! Hello - 'RIP Tides' Album ($4): 
This is a different band to The Oh Hellos! I have quite a few of this band's albums. I love their music so much. Specifically this album because it sounds like beach sort of music because of the use of ukuleles etc. (Also because the clue is in the title...) The song 'Lava Pools' is probably my favourite out of this album. 

Backpack Party - 'Possibility' Album (Free): 
This is quite different from the other albums i've said about but I have been listening to these guys a lot recently! It's really cool upbeat music but it's not exactly screaming in your ears if you see what I mean...? Not to mention that they have a pretty rad band name. Also I believe that YouTuber Christian Novelli (TouchTheSkyFilms) is part of this little band so all the more reason you should listen to it! 


Atlas Hands 'Two Birds EP' (Free): 
Although this EP only has two songs to it, it is just so cute! I actually loved this song so much that I used both of them in my short film I made about the film 'Submarine'. I love the song 'Seeds' more than 'Moving On' but they are just so perfect and fit so well with my short film (Head over to my YouTube channel if you want to watch it!)


Fox Academy - 'um hi' Album ($2):
This again only has two songs to it but it's quite cute and slow sounding. It's just really nice and calm to listen to. Also again I think Christian Novelli is involved with this band! They have a few other singles on there too so you should check them out! 


WUSSYCAT - 'VVUSSY' Album ($5):
They only have one album and it's a bit of a weird one. It's nice to listen to and it's kind of relaxing. It might not be your cup of tea just to listen to it on it's own, but however it is quite good for backing music for videos. I think I've used it a couple of times. (I think Christian Novelli uses this a lot. Any fans of him might recognise the song 'Everything Is Awful' - Lot's of Christian Novelli in this mix of albums sorry i'm just a big fan of the music he produces/uses!)

Tom Rosenthal - All of his albums ('Who's That In The Fog?' - £5, 'B-Sides' - £4 and 'Keep A Private Room Behind The Shop' - £5)
I LOVE THIS GUY'S MUSIC. IT IS INCREDIBLE AND NOBODY CAN TELL ME OTHERWISE. I think I found his music from YouTuber PleasantRyan's video 'Lonelier Than You' and have loved his music ever since. When I found his music and downloaded it, 'Who's That In The Fog?' and 'B-Sides' were free. But now as he's got a bit more popular, he is charging for both of those albums. But if you're like me and love his music, it's well worth every penny! His music is calming in some and manic in others. But each song tells a really nice story and always has a nice flow to the songs. Some of his songs have even featured in advertisements on TV ('Woes' from the 'B-Sides' album)! It's just too good to pick a favourite album!

Dog Ears 'So It Goes' Album (£2.50): 
This one is a bit of a cheat because i've had this for quite a while now. If you didn't know, the actor Mat Baynton from 'Horrible Histories', 'Spy', 'The Wrong Mans' and quite recently 'Yonderland' did a solo project. All I know is... MAN THAT GUY CAN SING. Some of it is quite dark sounding but mostly quiet music. Just a guy singing with a guitar mostly. I recommend 'Mrs Winchester'. It's haunting and chilling but at the same time relaxing and heartwarming. I could listen to him for hours. Also the artwork is just amazing! I'm really sad he didn't do anymore! 

Luce TG - 'Fait(s)' Album ($5): 
And finally, this is the most recent album I downloaded. I first heard her music when watching KickThePJ's video 'Valley of the Bats (Valebat)'. I totally fell in love with that sweet sounding song but alas, PJ didn't say where the music was from and so I was searching for it ever since! It's french music and I don't think I would ever listen to french music because I do not speak french so I wouldn't understand what they was singing about, but this had such a nice rhythm and sound that I couldn't help but love it. Later down the line PJ made a video called 'Home' and he used another song from the same artist as before and I fell in love with this song even more than the last! At the time of this video coming out I was still searching for it. I eventually found it about two weeks and haven't stopped listening to it since! Even if you don't want to go and buy it, just listen to it. It is just too nice. 

Sorry for the extra long post today but I felt like writing loads! I hope i'm not the only one with this obsession with Bandcamp. Do you have any music you're addicted to? Let me know! 

Hope you're having a nice day!
Until the next time, 

Zoe
x


No comments:

Post a Comment