Saturday 24 May 2014

Zoe's Homemade Millionaire's Shortbread.

Hello everyone! It's Zoe!

First of all apologies for the absense. Both me and Karina have been mega busy doing college work and lots of other stuff! We've finished college now and we both plan to write regular posts now! 

A while ago I was bored an in need of something to do until I thought: I can do some baking! It's been a long time since I baked something and so I thought I would make my favourite, Millionaire's Shortbread. This recipe can be quite a tricky one as it's taken me several attempts to perfect. It's not for the impatient ones I'll tell you that! I am quite an impatient person so that will explain why it has taken so many attempts to perfect! Before beginning I had an idea to do a blog post on Millionaire's Shortbread so people can see how to make it! Everytime I Make Millionaire's Shortbread I will always use the Hairy Biker's 'Mum's Know Best' cookbook recipe. It is just the best one and it makes it so simple to read and is fully explained. So, here's how to make it! 

First of all, the base needs to be made. The ingredients you will need are: 



First you need to measure out the ingredients, mix the butter, sugar and flour to form a dough. (Make sure you wash your hands before kneading!)
Press the dough into a 23cm tin (the recipe says 23cm tin but if you dont have a tin of that size, just use one that you think would be suitable enough. Not to big otherwise the dough will go too thin and will burn in the oven and not too small because the dough will be too thick, it will take longer to cook and there won't be as many pieces when you cut it up!) You then need to cook it for 15 - 20 minutes at 190°C/Gas 5. (Keep an eye on it!) 



Meanwhile, You need to start the caramel. You will need: 



You need to pour the condensed milk into a big pan and add the sugar and butter. Bring to the boil and keep continuously stirring for 5 - 10 minutes. I say 5 - 10 minutes but you may want longer if you need it. You have to be so patient with it. It has to be a really thick mixture otherwise it isn't going to set. And I can tell you that from experience! Once it is done, take your shortbread you've baked and pour it over the top of it evenly and set it in the fridge for a little while. 



(The best bit about baking is licking the bowl. Yum!)
After you've left that in the fridge to chill for a while, you can melt the chocolate. You can have any type of chocolate you want (Nobody's stopping you from having two different types of chocolate and swirling it together if you like!) I went for some cooking chocolate because that's all I had in the cupboards. 


I melted the chocolate in the microwave although the correct way would be to set up a bowl over a pan of water on a low heat but it's quicker in the microwave. Put it in and take it out every 20 - 30 seconds to give it a stir until it's completely melted.) Pour it over the top and spread evenly. Set in the fridge again until it has completely set. (This might take an hour or so.)

Once it's set, go ahead and cut it into squares!


And then you're done! Now you can go and share it out with family and friends Or just keep it to yourself! After all you've made it. 

Hope you enjoyed this post about how I made these Millionaire's Shortbread! Let me know if you make some using this recipe and tell me how they came out! Good luck baking!

Until the next time,

Zoe

x




1 comment:

  1. Oooh I love millionaire's shortbread. Never tried to make any myself though - hopefully i'll try and follow this recipe soon!

    ReplyDelete